First timer or experienced skier, this cross-country skiing expedition trip for women presents an unforgettable experience for any adventure-minded nature loving woman.
On this expedition trip we ski with dogs and pulks (sleds) from outside the town Alta, southeast, across the Finnmark Plateau to Karasjok in the heartland of the Norwegian Sami culture. We sleep in mountain cabins and tents and most of the trip will be of trails. The highlights of this trip are the silence, a true wilderness experience and the Northern Lights (not guaranteed).
Minimum age for children traveling on this trip is 15 years.
Women traveling alone must be 18 years or older.
Number of guests is 1 to 8.
You must be prepared to share rooms in Alta, Jotka mountain cabin and Ravnastua mountain cabin. In Karasjok you will be lodged in double rooms in design cabins with one or two rooms.
In Karasjok single rooms are available for an additional NOK 200-400 per day (Ask your seller using the button below).
The nights in tents, teams of 2 to 3 women will share one tent.
We would like to encourage you to stay a few extra days at Engholm Husky Lodge to explore Karasjok and the neighboring town of Kautokeino.
At the Husky Lodge there is always many things happening and you can, among other things, take part in the daily handling of the dogs. You can visit the sights of Karasjok or you can relax with a good book from the “mushers library”. You can also experience the Sami culture by visiting the Sami Museum, buy Sami art and hand craft, visit the local Sámi knife smith or get a guided tour at the Sami parliament. You can also book a dog sledding trip or a maybe trip to visit a reindeer herder.
(SEE UPGRADES TO ADD ACTIVITIES AND/OR EXTRA NIGHTS!)
- all meals from dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 9
- some equipment
- lodging in Alta, Jotka, Ravastua and Karasjok
– professional, English-speaking guide
- Local transportation
- activities as listed in the program
- Travel to Alta and from Karasjok
- Personal equipment (please check the equipment list)
- Travel insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- 1 wind proof jacket (and preferably also waterproof e.g. GoreTex, BreTex or similar membrane fabric)
- 1 Windproof pants (Like the jacket)
- 1 Thick woolen sweater or fleece jacket * (Nok 50)
- 1 Sweater
- 2 T-shirts, thin woolen shirts or other technical underwear
- 2sets warm underwear (longjons and top with full length arms). Preferably wool or woolen terry
- 1 Warm and wind proof hat that also protects your ears in the wind * (NOK 50)
- 1 pair Warm and wind proof mittens (NOT gloves) * (NOK 50)
- 1 pair thin gloves (to protect fingers from direct contact with cold metal)
- 2 pairs thick woolen socks
- 1 Scarf and/or balaclava
- 1 pair Gaiters/leggings
- 1 pair ski boots **
- 1 set skis, ski poles and skins (mountain skis) * (NOK 500)
- 1 Back pack (40 liters +/-20 liters)
- 1 Sleeping mat *
- 1 Sleeping bag * (NOK 200)
- 1 Liner for sleeping bag *
- 1 Sunglasses
- 1 Ski-goggles *
- 1 Headlamp *
- Toilet articles and other private equipment
Items marked with * can be provided for free on request. Information about equipment you need must be conveyed minimum 2 weeks before arrival. Items with an additional cost are noted with the price.
Please note that this is the minimum required clothing and equipment for this women trip. You are of course welcome to bring other clothes and equipment in addition to this.
You should pack your clothing in waterproof bags to avoid equipment from becoming wet during the tour.
We also recommend that you bring a down jacket to put on when we are in camp or not moving, however this is only for comfort and is not vital for the trip.
If you choose to bring your own sleeping bag, this needs to be a warm winter sleeping bag with minimum comfort temperature >/= -15° Celsius.
If you choose to bring your own sleeping mat, it must be suitable for camping on snow, meaning that inflatable mats should have down in them or be combined with a thin roll mat.A foam mat (roll mat) should be thick /insulated enough for use on snow (≈14mm).
We do also recommend that you bring a camera with extra memory cards and battery.
We recommend that you bring your own skis on this trip. The skis must be mountain skis (back country skis) or touring skis. Racing skis or other narrow and/or short skis will not do the job. The skis are vital on this trip and anything other than mountain skis or touring skis are not considered safe to use on this trip.
** The skis we can provide are classic wooden cross-country skis. They are not the lightest and most hi tech skis, but they work well for this type of trip.
** If you rent skis from us you can use your own warm winter boots, suitable for hiking, with the rented skis.
We also provide:
- Warm winter boots (to use in the camp area when we are not skiing)
- Stoves, cutlery and cooking equipment
- Pulks (sledges for equipment transport)
- Other common equipment necessary for this trip
Equipment that you do not need on the expedition can be transported from Alta to Karasjok.
Please give us feedback on following:
- Allergies/intolerance, food preferences (e.g. vegetarian)
- Medical conditions that we should know about
- Any equipment you would like to borrow /rent from us
- Shoe size
Weather conditions in March/April in the Finnmark:
• Average temperature approx. -6 C (21,2F)
• Temperatures can drop down to approx. -25 C.
• Sunrise around 6am in 15th March and 4:30am 15th April
• Sunset around 5:30 15th March and 9:30pm 15th April.
• The best time to see the northern light is before 5th April
Wilderness Expedition for Women
Select number of guests
Select your travel dates
With each and every booking, travProtect™ stands behind you 100% and provides premium safety and security features:
World-class security & communications features mean you never have to accept a booking unless you're 100% comfortable.
Our fast, flexible payment system puts money in your bank account 24 hours after guests check in.